Friday, November 09, 2007

Dependence & Inter-dependence

We are at the SouthEast Christian church in Louisville, KY this weekend for a Global Medical Missions conf. Last night's opening plenary was Eli Kachagunga, an indigenous person from Brazil translated by Steve Saint (of "The End of the Spear" fame). Eli was very eloquent in explaining the history of missions from the European and N. American--to mestizo Latin Americans--but says now that the time has come for the indigenous themselves to evangelize especially other indigenous in Latin America.

But, as he says, we in the north have things that they do not have (like financial resources) and they in the south have things that we do not have (like the ability to live in the jungle!). Therefore we need each other and must learn to work in unity as the Body of Christ. Long time urban minister, Bob Lupton, has developed the following "oath for would-be helpers."

1. I will never do for others what they have (or could have) the capacity to do for themselves.
2. I will limit my one-way giving to emergency situations and seek always to find ways and means for legitimate exchange.
3. I will seek ways to empower the poor through hiring, lending and investing and use grants sparingly as incentives that reinforce achievements.
4. I will put the interests of the poor above my own (or organizational) self-interest even when it may be costly.
5. I will take time to listen and carefully assess both expressed and unspoken needs so that my actions will ultimately strengthen rather than weaken the hand of those I would serve.
6. Above all, to the best of my ability, I will do no harm.
(Compassion, Justice and the Christian Life--Rethinking Ministry to the Poor, Robert Lupton)

3 Comments:

At 7:21 AM , Blogger Stu said...

Dan, I think that this oath is very good. In fact, I have no aversion to anything stated in it. I think the most important part of serving the poor is the first tenant though: I will not do anything for the poor that they can do for themselves. If all you do is subsidize apathy, their lives will never change. Good stuff. By the way, your little boy is very handsome!

 
At 9:32 AM , Blogger Dan, Angelica & Jacob said...

Hey Stu, When are you heading south for Oaxaca? We are looking to drive thru Ark. sometime early Dec. Let us know your plans.

 
At 7:39 AM , Blogger Stu said...

Well, I'm not leaving for Oaxaca until Dec 17th, but I will only be in AR until the end of this month. Then I will be moving to Tulsa to be with my family for a couple of weeks until I leave. That time will be very flexible for me though. Just let me know when you're coming (preferably via email), and I can probably meet up with you all. Talk soon!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home