Monday, May 31, 2010

Missions & the will of God

I remember back in the 80's, I believe, trying to discern the Will of God was all the fad. Books like "Decision Making and the Will of God: An Alternative to the Traditional View" by Gerry Friessen was making a splash. I was searching for how to relate my call to serve among the poor with a love for learning and even law. I spent a summer in Japan after college graduation which extended into half a year after hearing clearly God's voice. I did a year at a Baptist seminary but after another summer mission immersion in the Dominican Republic I interrupted theological studies to spend more time in Latin America. I finished a master's in theology at the New College in Berkeley, a place especially geared for people like me who did not have a pastoral calling. I returned to Latin America in the late 80's thinking I would be there for life with the LAM but found myself spending the next decade in a Mexican barrio of Chicago. And then of course, there was marrying at age 44 and becoming a father at 49! So, how does one discern the will of God? How have I felt led over these past 3 decades? How do I learn from these experiences for the challenges of today? Here's our latest discernment process...

It's been a year since joining Palm Missionary Ministries with a focus on supporting national missionaries/ministries. It's been 2 years since beginning to collaborate with Pedro, a Presbyterian minister with a vision to bring solid, holistic Bible teaching to indigenous churches in Chiapas, Mexico. It's been 3 years since launching the vision of our Center in Puebla. So how does one discern the will of God to know when to leave one and support another? One important criteria are the external circumstances that surround each option. If we are faithful to Palm principles it seems prudent for Angelica and I to let go for now of the Center to let others from our extended family take the vision where they see fit. Meanwhile, Pedro has been struggling alone for the past couple years making connections with churches, living in a small room in San Cristobal and writing down the vision. Another friend, Cesar, a univ. prof. from Mexico City has also begun to walk alongside us recently with his desire to go more in depth in building relationships with indigenous families in Chiapas. JEM has invited people to visit Chiapas over the past decade and are searching for a new in depth focus for the coming decade. A house has been made available for us to rent and for Pedro to have as a more stable base for his Bible school in San Cristobal. So, the plan is to move there next month and plan to stay at least until the end of the year. In 2011 we will re-evaluate the activities at the Center in Puebla and what other doors God opens in Chiapas. We invite your prayers for us in this discernment process and hope to hear from many of you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home